Training your dog to stay is one of the most helpful, but difficult command to teach.
Puppies naturally like to be in motion all the time so “stay” is a real challenge, but very important.
Video: How to Teach Your Dog to Stay – No Matter What – by Zak George
To Train a Dog to Stay
You will need:
- A Dog Collar
- A Leash
- Clicker (if you are using this type of training)
Choose a place familiar and free from distractions. Plan on short training sessions to start out. Here we go!
10 Steps on How to Train Your Dog to Stay
- Put the leash on your dog.
- Use the “Sit” command and reward – “click”
- Keep your dog in position and say the “Stay” command with your dog’s name.
- Use a hand signal, holding your hand in a “Stop” position.
- Slowly back up 1-2 steps.
- Use a release command – such as “Okay” and call your dog to you and reward him (saying “Good Stay”).
- Increase time and distance while always using the hand sign and verbal command. Only do this after he has mastered the “Stay” at a short 1-2 step distance with hand sign, verbal release command and reward, saying “Good Stay”.
- Remember “Stay” should only be rewarded if performed. Disregard and don’t reward if he goofs off.
- Only train for short sessions. Pups get antsy and bored!
Training your dog to stay, release and to come is very important.
- 30-Pound Bag
- Made with real smoked salmon
- Supplemented with fruits and vegetables
- Delivers natural antioxidants to protect
Learn about other Dog Obedience Commands: How to Teach a Dog To Sit
Video: How to Teach Any Dog the Perfect Stay
(by Training Positive)