How to Teach Your Dog to Lie Down
How to teach your Dog to “Lie Down”
To teach your dog to lie down, the command is “Down” Only use the command to “Down” if you want him to lie down and not if you want him to get off the sofa, otherwise it will confuse him. Use “Off” instead.
- Hold a treat in your hand so that your dog can see it.
- Show the treat to your dog, and then place your hand on the floor. The dog will follow the treat. Your dog will try every which way to get at the treat.
- Eventually, he will lie down. The moment he does, press your clicker and give him the treat.
- Keep at it, and until he understands that your hand on the floor means you want him to lie down add the command “Down” is associated with lying down.
- With practice, he will go down on command, without the treat.
Teaching basic commands is an important way to create communication between you and your dog.
Video: How to Train a Dog to Lie Down – by K9-1
You may be interested in teaching your dog other basic commands like How to Teach a Dog to Come.
In order to learn more about Dog Obedience Training and How to Teach Your Dog to Lie Down, Please Click Here!